Sunday, April 5, 2009

Tah's Tonight: The Stormers

"Group hug I'd say, we dont get to do if often."


I raced from the bus on a gimpy leg to here someone scream, "Turner has scored!" via their radio feed. Granted this was the Stormers however, a team that has been inconsistent at best. However they were a "gritty" team in that, on their night, they play like any other team in the competition.





As I look around for my cohorts in bay 23 I glanced at the score, the time, then the score. "Wow, I didn't miss much." The thing is that the Waratahs play a brand of rugby that is boring, however winning. In the words of Al Davis, "Just win baby!" The Waratahs certainly do not dissapoint. Lachlan Turner, who in my view is a better Rugby player than Lote Tuquri, dazzled, and scored the only two tries of the match. One to start of the other to seal the victory. There were only three instances where I stood up out of my seat, they were;



  • To grab my food and drinks in that order

  • To jump around crazy and display to my south-african friends how sweet victory is through Lachlan Turner

  • To leave the stadium


This is my main problem not only with Rugby in Australia, but with every sport. The atmosphere is horrible. Absolutely woeful. The only time you here and cheering, singing, yelling etc, is when two things happen. A try is scored or some foreigners try to show how it is done. There is no doubt that we Australians are THE most passionate supporters for our teams, but in terms of "Home-Field Advantage" and "True Sporting Experience." There is little to offer at a Waratahs game, Wallabies match and any other sport in Australia.



I just hope the Waratahs keep winning.

No comments:

Post a Comment